Law Enforcement is a KEY player in the annual High Visibility Enforcement (HVE) initiatives. NHTSA needs law enforcement’s help to make the 2015 National Seat Belt Enforcement Mobilization an effective strategy to increase seatbelt use and reduce motor vehicle deaths and serious injuries. This year’s Click It or Ticket mobilization will take place May 18 – 31, 2015. Statistics show that passenger vehicle occupants are buckling up more during the day, but not enough at night. This mobilization is intended to crackdown on violators 24/7, but a strong enforcement effort is urged between the nighttime hours of 6 p.m. and 5:59 a.m. due to the significant number of violators and fatal crashes during this time.
This webinar, featuring NHTSA staff from the Office of Communications and Occupant Protection and regional and state LELs, reviewed NHTSA’s marketing plans for this year’s mobilization, shared the Products for Enforcement Action Kit (PEAK), designed to help law enforcement rally officers and alert the public to prepare for maximum high-visibility seat belt enforcement, and showcased statewide best practices in New York and Vermont, as well as a Border-to-Border Program involving NHTSA Regions 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- Vernon Betkey, Program Manager, National LEL Program
- Susan McMeen, Office of Communications and Consumer Information, NHTSA
- Janice Hartwill-Miller, Occupant Protection Division, NHTSA
- Sgt. Todd Engwer, New York State Police and LEL, New York Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee
- John Coyle, Region 2 LEL, NHTSA
- Tom Fields, LEL, Vermont Governor’s Highway Safety Program